What should I do if I have to charge a customer an extra $3,500 to complete a job due to unexpected problems?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I have to charge a customer an extra $3,500 to complete a job due to unexpected problems?

They have not been cooperative from the beginning and I know that they will not agree to pay this extra fee. However in my contract it plainly mentions that if an unforeseen problem should arise that prevents the contractor from performing the duties as described in this contract a separate fee will be charged to the customer unless an alternate solution is agreed upon between the customer and the contractor.

Asked on February 18, 2014 under Business Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your contract supports charging them an additional fee, you may do so, within the limits of the amount allowed by the contract. If they will not pay it, you could sue them (such as in small claims court, acting as your own attorney) to enforce the contract and recover the fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption