If I’ve been working for my employer for over a year and this is the third time I’ve had a problem with being paid, what are my rights?

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’ve been working for my employer for over a year and this is the third time I’ve had a problem with being paid, what are my rights?

I have been waiting patiently for 6 weeks to be paid and when I ask for payment I have received $100 twice. I am owed nearly $2000 in back wages and have been told that the money is not there. I am wondering if there are any legal actions I can take to receive payment and if so what are they? I no longer feel loyalty to the business and only wish to receive what’s due. I have already started looking for another job and was also wondering if I would be forfieting my over due wages by quitting my job?

Asked on June 22, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In a situation such as this, an employee can take several actions. First, you can file a complaint with your state's department of labor. You can also take your employer to small claims court to receive your back wages. Finally, you can always consult directly with an employment law attorney. While they probably won't take your case due to the relatively small amount involved, they can at least advise you of other state specific options.

Please note, your quitting will not effect your right to recover your past due wages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption