If I have been charged with posession of alcohol under the age of 21, am I allowed to leave the country before my court date?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have been charged with posession of alcohol under the age of 21, am I allowed to leave the country before my court date?

I have a set court date next month; I have a set trip to go on vacation to Costa Rica in 2 weeks and I will be back for my court date.

Asked on January 7, 2016 under Criminal Law, Florida


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You need to have an attorney review your conditions of bond with you.  Your bond conditions will control what you can and cannot do.  If your bond conditions say that you cannot travel outside of the states, then you need get permission from the court before you travel.  If you travel in violation of a bond condition, then the judge could issue a warrant for your arrest and revoke your bond and confine you to jail while your case is pending.  (Recent news accounts of the "affluenza teen" in Texas is a worst case scenario of jumping bond.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption