If I recently came in America and am looking for job, how I can get a work permit?

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I recently came in America and am looking for job, how I can get a work permit?

I have A2 dependent visa. I am an IT graduate from my home country. Will an employer also ask for that before giving a job to me. Or can I start a job without any permission and later on submit the documents.

Asked on March 15, 2013 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can undertake gainful employment in A2 dependent status.  However, to accept employment you must submit form I-566 to the Dept of State, along iwth a statement by the diplomatic mission certifying the relationship between you and your dependent and that your assignment is expected to last more than six monhts; and a statement from the prospective employer describing the position, the salary and certifying that you have the necessary skills and the required qualifications for the position.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption