If a debt collector has obtained a judgment against me and now wants me to appearin court and produce certain financial information, must I?

UPDATED: May 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a debt collector has obtained a judgment against me and now wants me to appearin court and produce certain financial information, must I?

I have a judgement against me from a debt collector.  They sent several pages of things to bring –  bank info, employment info, property info, budget, income tax returns, SSN, DL, titles, deeds, registration (vechicles). Do I have to give them all of this? Do I even have to go? If I fill out some/most of the info and offer to pay some every pay check (the last page has a “payment offer” to fill out) and send it to the debt collector listed on the order, will that be good enough?

Asked on May 17, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If they have actually used a legal process or mechanism to request these materials--for a example, a subpoena--you have to comply. If they have not yet resorted to a legal mechanism--e.g. they've just informally asked you to supply this information--you don't have to... but assume that if you decline, they will in fact take the next step and then use legal process to get this information, which is all relevant and germane (i.e. a court would agree they have a right to it).

Nothing stops you from trying to negotiate with the judgment creditor (the debt collector) to work out some mutually agreeable payment plan; however, it is voluntary on the part of the creditor whether they will accept any such proposal from you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption