Can I get a property lien released if I was not properly notified about a judgement?

UPDATED: May 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get a property lien released if I was not properly notified about a judgement?

A judgement/lien was filed against me by a collection agency in 2005. I was never notified of either nor is their any proof of notification on record. The collection agency has no proof of notification either. Both the agency and the county clerk say they were not required to notify me. I’ve gone through the WA state codes and there is nothing specifically stating this.

Asked on May 16, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The fact that you claim you were never served with any paperwork regarding a lawsuit and the judgement is not ok.  Our legal system is in part premised on the fact that each party should have a chance to be heard on a matter in dispute and the courts go out of their way - at least they are supposed to  - to make sure that parties are properly served with papers.  Otherwise the court does not have the authority - called jurisdiction - to render a decision in the matter.  You need to go to the court in which the lawsuit was brought and look up the matter.  Then you need to review it carefully to see if you have a basis to bring a motion to "vacate" the judgement.  Good luck.    

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption