If I have a felony that is 12 years old, will is still show in a background check?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a felony that is 12 years old, will is still show in a background check?

I have an employment offer was just given the background package. It is asking if I have ever been convicted of crime. Since it is over 10 years old, do I have to disclose it?

Asked on October 18, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

TIn CA, the fact is that no matter how old a felony conviction, it must be disclosed on an employment application. Some criminal matters need not be disclosed but this does not apply to felonies. That having been said, you may be able to "expunge" or clear your criminal record. When you expunge a conviction, it is "dismissed in the interest of justice" and you are relieved of ant associated liabilities. This means that, for the most part, potential employers are prohibited from inquiring about these convictions. At this point, you should consult directly with a criminal law attorney who can advise you more on the matter, although you can attempy to expunge your record yourself (just check on-line for further intormation).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption