What can I do if I have a condo with considerable water damage that appears to come from the condo over mine?

UPDATED: Jan 21, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 21, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I have a condo with considerable water damage that appears to come from the condo over mine?

The plumber cannot definitely detect the source and the other owner will not cooperate to let me have the source investigated. How can I handle this; it needs to be dealt with as soon as possible?

Asked on January 21, 2014 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You may need to file a lawsuit against the other owner, seeking either monetary compensation ("damages") for your costs and damaged property, and/or a court order requiring him to fix any leaks which are damaging your property. If the water is not coming from your unit, it must be coming from from another one; you may wish to sue any unit owners above yours, and possibly the condo association, too, if the water may be coming from a common area (e.g. the building's roof) and the association will not cooperate to investigate/repair. During the course of  litigation, there are mechanisms to get more information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption