Does a quick claim deed cover mineral rights?

UPDATED: Jan 21, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 21, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a quick claim deed cover mineral rights?

My grandparents signed a quit claim deed 8 years ago naming my uncle as sole recipient of their property. However, I have a notarized Will that was written in 30 years ago stating that the property should be split between siblings. I’m aware that the deed gives my uncle legal ownership of the house and land but there is oil and gas under the property. Does he also have full rights to that?

Asked on January 21, 2014 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


Brook Miscoski / Hurr Law Office PC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In Texas, the mineral rights are conveyed along with the land unless the mineral rights are specifically reserved. A quit claim deed with no reservation would simply convey everything that the grantor could convey to the grantee. The answer might be different in Louisiana, but in Texas, the uncle would probably own the mineral estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption