How do I find out about a settlement that was awarded to when I was a child?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find out about a settlement that was awarded to when I was a child?

I had a settlement from a car accident when I was 7; I was suppose to get that settlement when I turned 18. The day before my 18th birthday my mother (who was in charge of the case) claimed that the lawyer took everything and ran. A couple years later she moved away. My mother has been in and out of my life and has caused me to have mental disorders. I don’t know rather to sue her or the lawyer. How do I find out about this case? What kind of lawyer(s) should I talk to if it was my mom the lawyer or both?

Asked on October 19, 2014 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry about this all.  The first place to start would be to look in the Court file for your case.  Generally speaking, Courts require what is known as an Infant's Compromise Order to settle a case for a minor.  That is an order approved by the Judge that directs what is to happen to the money (where it is to be held, etc.).  Start there and find out.  When you get it call you local bar association and ask if they have a referral service and free or low cost consultation service with attorneys on their panel.  You would need to speak with some one who knows a bit about legal malpractice and/or fiduciary responsibilities. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption