If I want a divorce and there is a minor child that neither my wife or I have custody of, do they need to be included in the divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I want a divorce and there is a minor child that neither my wife or I have custody of, do they need to be included in the divorce?

I would like a divorce from my wife. We have a minor child but neither of us

have custody of her at this time. She is in the guardianship of another family member. My wife has since had 2 more children with 2 other men since she left me. She is also currently engaged to another man facebook posts with both other children and about engagment. She is refusing to sign divorce papers as she is trying to get the guardianship terminated and gain custody back of our

child after several failed attempts already. I want the divorce done but I need to find out if the minor child has to be included in the divorce papers since neither of us have legal custody of her. My soon-to-be-ex lives in another state.

Asked on February 10, 2017 under Family Law, Tennessee


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Sounds like an ugly mess... but it's fixable.  You can get a divorce, but the final order will need to reflect that another jurisdiction has continuing exclusive jurisdiction over the child you had together.  The final order will also need to reflect that the two other children were born during the marriage, but are not children "of the marriage."  The court may not be able to adjudicate who is "dad," but the court can make it clear that you are not the father of the children.  Many states have data bases where you can obtain copies of birth records or paternity registry searches.  These would or should confirm that another man is or has claimed to be the father of the children, thereby making way for the court to determine that you are not dad.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption