If I got caught stealing from my job and now they are going to press charges, what’s going to happen?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got caught stealing from my job and now they are going to press charges, what’s going to happen?

They said it added up to be about $200. I confessed that I did the crime. What should I do? I’ve never been in trouble before.

Asked on December 27, 2015 under Criminal Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You really should have a lawyer represent you since criminal charges are involved. If you are left with a rap sheet it can affect furture employment, where you can rent, student loans, professional licenses, etc. While only a small sum is involved it will not matter.
At this point you should speak directly with a criminal law attorney in your area. They can best advise you further. The fact is that, experienced counsel may be able to get the charge dismissed on a technicality, reduced, or win an acquittal at trial. At the very least, ask the prosecutor if you are eligible for "diversion" or your state's equivalent. This involves a special sentencing alternative available to first-time offenders. If successfully completed, it will leave you with a clean criminal history record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption