What can I do if I found out today that my husband’s father has been videotaping myself and my 2 year old daughter on my private property?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I found out today that my husband’s father has been videotaping myself and my 2 year old daughter on my private property?

I never consented or knew about this activity. My husband and I are going through a divorce and are currently separated and not living in the same home. I have temporary sole custody and my husband gets supervised visitations due to his domestic abuse against me. Can I sue, or reprimand in some way, my father-in-law. I no longer trust that entire family nor do I feel comfortable with my daughter being around them.

Asked on October 30, 2015 under Personal Injury, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your father-in-law for invasion of privacy for videotaping you and your daughter on your private property as this constitutes an intrusion upon  your right to be alone in an area where you have an expectation of privacy and solitude.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) for invasion of privacy include mental distress, and if applicable, physical illness.  You can also seek punitive damages. which are a substantial amount if a wrongful motive on the part of your father-in-law can be shown.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption