What should I do regarding car accident and a possible denied claim?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do regarding car accident and a possible denied claim?

My car was parked out front of my house and a guy driving his mom’s car hit it. My car got towed and that bill is adding up. His mother’s insurence didn’t give me an official answer yet, but told me more than likely my car won’t be covered. It seems that he wasn’t on the policy, he didn’t have permission to drive her car and he didn’t have a license. My insurence won’t cover it because I don’t have that type of coverage. I spoke to a friend who is a lawyer; he said once they tell me for sure they are not covering it then that’s when I take the mother and son to small claims court. Is there anything else that I can do before they give me their answer to help them change their mind on covering my car?

Asked on September 10, 2014 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Legally, you could sue them before getting an answer from their insurer, but there are reasons to at least wait a little while and see if you can resolve it amiably, without the expense (even if it's a small one) of a small claims suit as well as without the aggravation of a lawsuit.

They can pressure their insurer to try to resolve the matter faster; you can put pressure on them to do so by sending them a letter, sent some way you can prove delivery (e.g. certified mail with return receipt; fed with tracking), in which you would tell them that unless you receive compensation or a committment for compensation within the next, say, 20 or 30 days, you will file a lawsuit against them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption