What to do if I was injured at my apartment complex due to property management’s negligence?

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was injured at my apartment complex due to property management’s negligence?

I fell down steps because no bulb was there and the rubber strip on top step is bowed so I tripped on it. The tenants had asked for all bulbs to be replaced in front and back of building; the front was replaced but only the top 2 floor bulbs in the back stairwell were replaced. One night I decided to go out the back to see friend. However, I first hit the damaged top step and proceeded to fall down approximately 7 steps. To make matters worse, something wet and slippery was on the steps and I was twisted up like a pretzel with my left leg up and behind me. My left leg/knee is swollen and causing me severe pain.

Asked on October 16, 2011 under Personal Injury, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In every potential personal injury lawsuit, the plaintiff has the burden of proving negligence upon the defendant (that the defendant was careless and/or did not act in a careful manner) as well as proving actual damages.

If you were injured due to the landlord's or property manager's negligence in failing to protect you against a known danger and you have actual damages you need to access the amount of the damages that you sustained in order to decide whether or not you should seek a consultation with a personal injury attorney or proceed with your claim in small claims court.

Meaning, if your damages are less than $5,000 or so in medical bills and lost wages where you believe per consultation with a physician that you will recover from the mishap with no residual effect, then perhaps filing in small claims court and proceeding on your own is the wisest course to proceed.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption