i cant afford to pay my property taxes .

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

i cant afford to pay my property taxes .

i cant afford to pay my property taxes where can i get help

Asked on October 18, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Rhode Island


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is no government agency that helps in this situation. There may be private charities or foundations; try "Googling" to find them (I am not personally aware of ones that do this, otherwise I'd make a recommendation.)
But first: even if you caught up on what you owe now, will you be able to pay in the future? If you can't--if the property is too expensive for you--then you best bet is likely to sell it now, use part of the proceeds (assuming it is not underwater on any mortgage, HELOC, or reverse mortgage) to pay the taxes, then find some place you can afford. I practice landlord-tenant law, and in a similar context, I find that if tenants can't afford their rent, then even if the somehow scrape together the money this time, they will fall behind again. They are much better off finding a less expensive place to live.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption