If I would like to leave my house to my daughter, what would be the best way to do this?

UPDATED: Jan 31, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 31, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I would like to leave my house to my daughter, what would be the best way to do this?

Put her on deed now or will it to her? She is on disability and fixed income so I would like to know what would cost her the least amount of money.

Asked on January 31, 2015 under Estate Planning, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You and your daughter can sign a quitclaim deed in the presence of a notary.  A quitclaim deed releases your entire right, interest, and title to the property to your daughter.  After the quitclaim deed is signed in the presence of a notary, it needs to be recorded (filed with the County Recorder's office) for it to become effective.

The cost of this is negligible. 


If instead your daughter inherits the property in your Will, there will be delays and costs due to probate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption