What can I do if I bought a van online from a private seller but never received the vehicle?

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I bought a van online from a private seller but never received the vehicle?

I was mailed the bill of sale and mailed it back to owner, who in turn agreed to have the van shipped to me. After waiting for the vehicle for 2 weeks, he told me that the vehicle was in a accident and he would have to give me my money back. To date he has not returned my money and will not answer my messages. I would like to know what to do.

Asked on September 24, 2014 under Business Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are in a tough position.  Are you even sure that the documents that you signed contained the correct information: seller and VIN number of the vehicle?  I would file a complaint with the state's Consumer Protection Agency then try and track down the person and sue them for the return of the funds.  Was the purchase on a site such as eBay?  There are limited protections afforded consumers on these sites.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption