I am not the executer of my father’s Will, can I request a copy of it?

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am not the executer of my father’s Will, can I request a copy of it?

Asked on October 16, 2011 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The Will will have to be entered into probate. At that point, any beneficiaries should be notified of their inheritance. If you are a bendficiary you can request a copy of it; if you have not been notifiedthen possibly you weren't left any bequest. The fact is that children have no automatic inheritance rights under a Will. 

That having been said, once the Will is filed you can see a copy of it whether or not you are a beneficiary; it is a matter pf public record.  Simply go to the Probate Court in the county in which your father was domiciled at the time of his death; it would be filed there.  

Note:  You should also be aware that certain assets can be transferred outside of probate.  For example, if your father had a small estate, property may have been transferred by affidavit.  Further, some assets may have been held as "joint tenants with right of survivorship", in which case the other joint tenant would have received your father's share of property operation of law. Also, funds in an IRA, pension, 401(k), or other retirement plan also by-pass probate and go directly to the named beneficiaries.  Additionally, the same holds true for any life insurance proceeds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption