If I was incarcerated for 15 1/2 years and was married before getting locked up, what is the easiest way to now get a divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was incarcerated for 15 1/2 years and was married before getting locked up, what is the easiest way to now get a divorce?

She never waited around and I have tried to get a divorce but kept getting rejected. I have no income at the moment but would like to start my life over and get a divorce.

Asked on August 4, 2015 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you have no income, you can file for youreslf. Here is a site that will give you further information:


You can also check with your nearest Social Services office to see if they have a list of attorneys who will charge based on your income and circumstances. You can also check to see if there is a law school nearby to where you live; many times they run legal clinics that handle divorce cases for no or low cost.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption