If I’m currently living with my grandparents and they are currently on Medicaid, can theydeed their house over to me?

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m currently living with my grandparents and they are currently on Medicaid, can theydeed their house over to me?

My grandparents are currently on Medicaid and their eligibility depends on the house that we currently live in. Will the transfer in deed affect their benefits? And will I be responsible for any of their Medicaid expenses? How should we go about starting the deed transfer process?

Asked on February 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are concerned about your grandparents losing their Medicaid benefits if they transfer title to their home to you, I suggest that you and they consult with an attorney that practices elder law. My experience is that their eligibility for Medicaid is not dependent upon home ownership.

If they want to transfer title of the home to you and they want to be ensured a place to remain while alive, one means is to transfer legal title to you while retaining a life estate. Before proceeding on this suggestion, your grandparents should consult with a Wills and trust attorney in that such transfer could trigger some tax ramifications for them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption