What to do if I am being charged deferred interest that is greater that items purchased?

UPDATED: May 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I am being charged deferred interest that is greater that items purchased?

I have a furniture credit card that I purchased some furniture on a promotional on interest for so many day sale. I was paying online so I was not getting statements so I was not aware the promotional period was about up which was my fault. The deferred interest charged was $9000 + which was a lot higher than the actual furniture. Does this seem legal to charge so much deferred interest? Is there any thing that can be done to get rid of this without effecting credit.

Asked on May 23, 2012 under General Practice, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you agreed to it, it is legal--there are many cases where the interest on a purchase exceeds the actual value of the item purchased (for example: on the average 30 year mortgage, the homeowner will pay more, sometimes a lot more, in interest than the cost of the home). It is not illegal to have interest charges that could exceed the value of the item purchased, so long as such is disclosed and the buyer agreed to it in the contract or agreement of sale (or financing agreement). You need to check the agreements you signed to see you have been charged too much or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption