I am a teacher in a public school. If a parent talks negatively on social media, is that defamation?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am a teacher in a public school. If a parent talks negatively on social media, is that defamation?

Is it defamation to talk negatively about a
teacher on social media?

Asked on January 19, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the parent's statements on social media are false, you can sue the parent for defamation. Defamation is a false statement communicated to a third party, who recognizes the defamatory content and the statement is injurious to your reputation. Each repetition of the defamatory statement is actionable in a lawsuit for defamation.
Libel is written defamation. Slander is spoken defamation.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) for defamation include emotional distress. You can also seek punitive damages which are a substantial amount to punish the intentional wrongful acts of the parent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption