How to get out of a buyer-seller agreement?

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get out of a buyer-seller agreement?

In trying to sell my house that was left to me by my late mother, I’ve signed a buyer-seller agreement with a gentleman who said he was going to market the house to another person for compensation. I’ve realized that this is not the route I’d like to go with my property, so I’d like to know if I can “cancel” the agreement without legal ramifications.

Asked on February 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and end the agreement that you signed for marketing the home you own is to carefully read the terms of the written agreement that you presumably signed. The reason is that its terms and conditions control the means as to how you can end the agreement without having to pay any compensation to the other side.

I recommend that you consult with a real estate attorney about the agreement that you have written about and let him or her carefully review it. After that is done, you can get some advice as how to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption