Statute of limitations for a DWI violation from 1996?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Statute of limitations for a DWI violation from 1996?

My dad was given a ticket for a DWI in 1996. He just got a letter notifying him of a warrant for his arrest. He since then has renewed his license but had never been told about this warrant. Isn’t there a statute of limitations?

Asked on January 22, 2018 under Criminal Law, New Mexico


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The statute of limitations in a criminal case has to do with the time in which charges must be brougt against a person, not when punishment is imposed. And receiving a ticket is equivalent to being charged. Accordingly, your father will need to appear in court. Under the circumstances, you really should have him consult directly with a local DUI attorney. They will best be able to advise him further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption