How to evict a tenant who doesn’t want to pay rent in Sarasota Florida

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to evict a tenant who doesn’t want to pay rent in Sarasota Florida

I have a tenant. There was a water break and damage to an apartment. Damage was repaired, mold testing was done and negative. Tenant doesn’t trust mold report. Tenant doesn’t want to live in a rented place and doesn’t want to vacate. How to get rid of this tenant?

Asked on July 9, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

As soon as the tenant is late on rent, you can send them a three-day notice to vacate, requiring them to either pay the rent or vacate within three days. If they don't, you can then file an eviction complaint (legal action) in county court; you will get a court date (usually in around 2 weeks), at which time if the tenant does not pay, the court will issue an order for his removal, which order can then be used to get the sheriff or other court officer (who does this varies by state) to remove the tenant. If you don't want to deal with legal process, court etc. yourself, any landlord-tenant attorney can help you. The tenant has no right to stay in your unit without paying rent, so you can remove him--you just have to go through the proper steps and procedures.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption