Is my live-in girfriend entitled to any rights in my house?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my live-in girfriend entitled to any rights in my house?

I met a girl about 16 months ago in another state. We then separated for about 7 months while we kept in touch. Then I moved about 6 months ago to be with her. About 3 months ago I bought a house with my own money; she is not on the deed. We have been living in it together. Does this entitle her to any portion of this house now or in the future? Mind you we are not married and I don’t have a mortgage on the property.

Asked on July 9, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, merely living with someone does not entitled that person to any legal rights to the home in which they live. In your case this menns that your girlfriend cannot make a claim on the house simply for being your roommate. That having been said, if she contributes substantially to the maintenance and/or repair of the home, then in some cases she may be entitled to reimburesment of such costs. Bottom line, make sure to keep all house expenses seperate and apart.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption