How long is a class b misdemeanor on your record?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long is a class b misdemeanor on your record?

How long is on your record in Utah and once it is off an it be seen on a
background check for Employment?

Asked on September 15, 2017 under Criminal Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The short answer is, forever. 
Unless expunged (assuming the offense and you are eligible for expungment), the misdeamor is *always* part of your background and is always potentially accessible to someone who searchs for it the right way.
Generally, most background checks in practice only go back 7 years and so after that a minor crime will not often be found, but for some jobs (e.g. involving children, the disabled, seniors, securities, and handling money), the employer will specifically look further than that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption