If a divorce has been final over 10 yearsbut assets were undisclosed at the time of the divorce, what is my recourse at this time?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a divorce has been final over 10 yearsbut assets were undisclosed at the time of the divorce, what is my recourse at this time?

I remembered a retirement fund that my ex had at the time of my divorce but it was not included in the decree.

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Family Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that your husband intentionally hid assets during the divorce process then he has committed fraud under the laws in your state. It is illegal to hide assets as I am sure that you know. What you have to worry about is the statute of limitations which is 3 years in the state of Massachusetts.  So I think that it may be advisable to seek help from an attorney in your area to review the documentation submitted, your divorce settlement and your divorce decree to see if there is any other way that the matter can give rise to a cause of action that has not been time barred as of yet.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption