If you make a change in child support after separation papers are signed and filed but before your court date, what do you do?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you make a change in child support after separation papers are signed and filed but before your court date, what do you do?

My husband and I have signed separation papers, filed, responded and now are awaiting a court date next month. He has since started a new job and we used the child support calculator on-line to come up with the new child support (lower) and I am OK with this. But his paralegal says if the numbers have changed there is not an agreement. Isn’t there a way to amend this with out me having to change and resign these papers again? They have already charged a fortune the first time around.

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Family Law, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Of course the paralegal states that you need to sign a new agreement.  They want more money from you to change the agreement.  Tell them okay then you will stay with what you have and thanks for the advice.  Then when you get to court next month advise the court that there has been a change in the income of your spouse and that a modification of the agreement needs to be placed on the record (i.e., under oath and with out the need for a new paper to be signed) and could the court so order the modification of the one paragraph on consent of both parties and with out the need to draw up new papers.  The agreement between you on child support is always subject to scrutiny by the courts as the best interest of the child are tantamount here.  See what the judge says.  If the judge says that you need a new agreement then ask if you can add an addendum rather than an entire agreement and draw it up yourself.  Again, the court will review it. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption