CanI sue my employer for constant verbal abuse?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI sue my employer for constant verbal abuse?

I work in a retail outlet and my boss and supervisor verbally abuse all the employees everyday all day. They call us retards, dumb asses, morons, the list goes on and on (mostly involve swearing). We have tried to file OSHA complaints without success. Each one of us are abused almost by the minute. In 4 years my employer has hired 104 employees; our workforce is only 18 employees. 98 of them quit within 2 months; 4 are still employed; 2 have been fired. I have names of all employees, and many of them are willing to testify for reparations. Can we sue our employer? If so, how can we go about this?

Asked on September 10, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I would seek consultation from an employment attorney in your area.  Basically you have an harassment suit to ask about unless you feel that what is being said is in someway discriminatory and you are in some way a "protected" class under the law.  That would be racially tinted comments or sexually tinted comments.  Otherwise it is just not a nice place to work and the employees, who are employees "at will", can either hang around to hear it or quit and work somewhere else.  Just because someone is placed in the position of being a manager or supervisor does not mean that they have the needed people skills for the job to motivate their employees. And obviously the abuse comes from "the top" and trickles down.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption