How long does an employer have to fix a mistake they made in paycheck?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long does an employer have to fix a mistake they made in paycheck?

My fiance was shorted his earned bonus on his paycheck. Some employees received some did not. HR. The HR person said it was a mistake and it will be 2 more weeks. He was told he would receive today and he was

depending on that money.

Asked on January 24, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The law does not provide a fixed time frame for fixing a mistake involving a bonus (as opposed to regular salary or wages). That means that the employer must correct the mistake within a "reasonable" time frame, which would generally be in the next one or two pay periods (depending on exactly when the error was reported to them and when they have to put the information in for payroll for the checks, etc. to be run).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption