How does my boyfriend get out of paying a hospital bill he has from getting beat up?

UPDATED: Feb 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How does my boyfriend get out of paying a hospital bill he has from getting beat up?

My boyfriend got beat up and sent to the hospital. The guy who did it was sentenced already and wasn’t ordered to pay restitution. The County Attorney said they tried to get a hold of my boyfriend but my boyfriend never received any kind of call or mail about it. Now he has almost $5,000 in medical bills. How does he get the guy to pay him?

Asked on February 24, 2011 under Personal Injury, Nebraska


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Assault and battery are both civil and criminal.  The individual who beat your boyfriend was tried and convicted on the criminal charges and sentenced.  This does not prevent your boyfriend from filing a lawsuit against the person for assault and battery.  Your boyfriend should seek damages (monetary compensation) in the lawsuit for his injuries including the medical bills, any wage loss, etc.

If your boyfriend gets a judgment against the person, he will need to enforce the judgment to obtain payment.  If the individual does not pay, any assets he has could be attached to try to enforce the judgment and obtain compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption