How doI sue my landlord formedicalbillsifI fell and injured myself due to their negligence?

UPDATED: Jan 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI sue my landlord formedicalbillsifI fell and injured myself due to their negligence?

Prior to my fall we discussed with our landlord about the need for adequate lighting on the side of our residence. We live in an area where it snows and is very icy. I fact, I fell on the stairs one night while I was carrying groceries and fractured my ankle. Now I have to wear a cast for 6 weeks; due to a change in my insurance I have a $827 share of cost which means I have to pay out-of-pocket for my medical bills. How do we file a claim for these and related expenses? The landlord has not contacted us regarding my fall/injury. Perhaps avoiding the situation. We notified her 11 days ago, and today again with no response. Is there a way to find out if our landlord has homeowners insurance? It it required of landlords?

Asked on January 29, 2011 under Personal Injury, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking house carry homeowners insurance.  Are they required to?  Maybe not if they are not mortgaged but here is the thing: you know she has assets to help compensate for your injury.  You are living in it.  What worries me here is what your lease may say.  are you occupying an entire home?  Are you responsible under the lease for the upkeep and care of the premises while you are renting it?  You need to seek legal help with all of this.  Bring with you the lease and any information you have with regard to the accident: police reports, pictures, etc.  The attorney will probably ask you to sign authorizations to get your medical records.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption