How doI deal with a bail bondsman who is threatening me?

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI deal with a bail bondsman who is threatening me?

Unfortunately I helped get a family member out of jail by working with a bail bondsman. The family member never went to court and now the bails bondsman is threatening to arrest me. I’ve never been in trouble with law have a very clean record. I’ve been helping the bondsman by giving him any information that he needs in regard to this person. I’m really scared and don’t know what to do.

Asked on November 30, 2010 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Contact the police yourself: no one may threaten you, either physically at all, or even with arrest. (Note: if you are committing a crime, someone may say they will contact the police; they may NOT threaten you with the police to get you to do what they want or when you have not committed a crime.)

Basically, if you knowiningly aided someone in escaping justice, you may have committed a crime; you'd also be potentially liable civilly by anyone who suffered a loss for that reason (i.e., you could be sued). However, if you acted in reasonable good faith and another person then simply did not honor their own committments, you did not commit a crime--though potentially, you could still be sued, such as if  you guaranteed their performance in some way.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption