How do I protect myself in a car trade deal?

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I protect myself in a car trade deal?

I want to trade my hot rod for one in AZ. The classic car dealership wants me to complete paperwork they sent and sign my title and send to them. How do I protect myself in this deal? Is there some sort of document that I can have them sign assuring me that I will receive the other car?

Asked on June 4, 2011 under Business Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Ok, sign nothing unless you take the paperwork to an attorney to review.  Guidance can be very difficult without  reading the documents involved but you are absolutely correct that unless there is a document that specifies the car that you re to receive you will be out of luck.  These long distance transactions can really be too good to be true sometimes and you have to be very careful.  You should also check out the dealership to see if there are any reviews  - good and bad - about their dealings andcheck with the state of Arizona's attorney general's office about complaints filed.  The internet can be a very useful tool.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption