How do I trade a vehicle with another person in a different state?

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I trade a vehicle with another person in a different state?

I’m trading my motorcycle to another person in another state for his motorcycle plus cash. To do a bill of sale, do we both have to be present to do signatures or will a notarized signature suffice and mail that to each other?

Asked on June 4, 2011 under Business Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

How do you trade a vehicle with another person in a different state?  By having an attorney draw up an agreement between the two of you BEFORE you start mailing bills of sale and title's to each other.  What's to say that you mail the bill of sale and the title and the other party does not?  Then where are you?  With an oral contract that you will have to prove and sue on from another state.  Yes, it is true that if the other party defaults on the written contract you may also have to sue from another state but proving it will not be impossible.  And you can try and work some safe guards i  to the agreement.  Please, do not do this without consulting an attorney.  You have too much to lose and too much aggravation to gain.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption