What are a consumer’s rightsregrading a fraudulent contractor?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are a consumer’s rightsregrading a fraudulent contractor?

How do I go about filing suit in small claims court? Can I obtain necessary forms on line? I have been working with the Metro fraud department to pursue a roofing contractor that took $3,000 to start replacing my roof, but never did any work. I contacted the Department of Commerce and insurance and they have written several letters to the roofer and he has not responded. I also spoke an ADA, who said that we could prosecute this person criminally and have him arrested. At this point, I am ready to move forward with this, but the fraud department has indicated that it does not normally pursue a case if this is the only complaint.

Asked on January 5, 2011 under General Practice, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

First, bear in mind that a criminal prosecution against someone generally does NOT get you your money back. The purpose of a criminal prosecution is deterrence and justics--not compensation. If you want your money back and you'll need to sue the individual and/or his business. You can bring a lawsuit yourself in small claims court. Contact the court--either go to its website and/or go to the court in person and speak to a clerk or administrator in or over small claims--and you should be able to get forms and instructions which you can follow. Note that if the business was an LLC or corporation, you may be limited to suing the roofing business, not the roofer personally; if it was a sole proprietorship or d/b/a (i.e. not an LLC or corp.) you can sue him personally, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption