How can I receive compensation that a former empoyer refuses to pay?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I receive compensation that a former empoyer refuses to pay?

I worked for a Marketing/PR Firm for 23 days and never received compensation. I was let go due to lies told on me by my employer and one of her associates where my personal business was discussed in a meeting. What action can I take to receive the funds due to me. I’ve been given excuses after it was already 3 days late because she wanted her equipment returned, which was, then her friend/HR Rep texted me asking for my social security number to process my payroll after it was 5 days late. I have still not received anything after and it’s been a full month almost.

Asked on May 29, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your former employer for breach of contract / account stated.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) are the amount you are owed.
The amount of your damages will determine whether or not you can file your lawsuit in small claims court.  Upon prevailing in the case, you can recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption