Obligation to Tuition Reimbursement Contract

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Obligation to Tuition Reimbursement Contract


Two years ago I signed a tuition reimbursement contract with my
employer,in which they agreed to pay 60 of the total tuition cost,
in exchange for a three year commitment. However, last year, our
company split into two separate publicly traded companies, my
Operating company OpCo, was one of the OpCo’s that went with the
new publicly traded parent company.

My question is am I legally obligated to stay with the new parent
company, when all of the paperwork and contracts signed were listed
under my previous parent company’s name? There is nothing listed in
the contract highlighting mergers, acquisitions or split-offs, so I
am wondering where I stand with my obligation.

I appreciate any insight you could offer. Thank you.


Asked on June 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you are still obligated to the agreement. A change in the ownership of your employer (e.g. if it is not publically traded, it is "owned" by members of the public, at least in theory--the shareholders) or a change in the employer's name has no effect on contractual obligations. The agreement did not need to mention mergers, split-offs, etc. because there was no need to: under the law, you are still obligated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption