How can I obtain my personal property at my residence aftermy boyfriend changed the locks?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I obtain my personal property at my residence aftermy boyfriend changed the locks?

My boyfriend kicked me out. I have not had the opportunity to gather my personal property at the resident. The locks have been changed. I am not on the Lease but have lived there for 6 months and been paying rent to him. What are my rights to obtaining my personal property and what do I do if my property is damaged?

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were paying rent to your former boyfriend to live in the unit that he kicked you out of, he technically was subleasing the unit to you and he was your landlord. A landlord cannot use self help to evict a tenant. Proper notice such as a thirty (30) day termination notice of the lease must be given to the tenant.

A landlord cannot change the locks of a rental and lock out a tenant until after the tenant has voluntarily left the rental.

What you presumed former boyfriend has done by locking you out of the rental and preventing you from collecting your possessions was improper. You should consider filing a small claims court action against him for wrongful eviction and the loss of your possessions due to the lock out.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption