How can I keep mother’s home?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I keep mother’s home?

My mother passed away last week, only 3 months after purchasing a new home. I am not on the title and she left no Will. I know she has less than $50,000 in assets. I want to keep her house and assume her mortgage loan and I am unsure how to do this. I need advice

on this matter.

Asked on January 10, 2018 under Estate Planning, Nebraska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If your Mother died without a Will she died Intestate and the Intestacy laws in the state will apply. Are you he only next of kin and the only person to inherit under the intstacy laws in Nebraska? If she died without a spouse her children inherit everything.  Now, becuase she owned real property it is likely that you will have to file a Petiion for Probate.  The property can be transferred in to your name via Executor's Deed.  Not the good thing is that if you inherit property it does not trigger the "due on sale" clause in a mortgage.  If you sold the property the mortgagor (lender) would have to be paid off.  But  transfer pursuant to a Will or intestacy does not generally trigger the clause, meaning you can continue to pay the mrotgage as is until it is paid off. You do not have to refinance in your name. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption