How can I get out of/dispute a jail sanction the judge already signed off on?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get out of/dispute a jail sanction the judge already signed off on?

Im on probation and tested positive for meth on a drug
test but I have been clean for 2 years after completing
jail time and rehab My PO said there is no way this was
a false positive as it was sent to the lab but there has
to be an explanation. I already signed the orders and so
has the judge so my PO said there is nothing they nor I
can change now. I am suppose to go in Friday to start my
sanction. Is there anything I can do to buy more time
while I try to come up with some sort of proof that
these results are false?
Thank you in advance for your help

Asked on December 19, 2017 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Most probation offices use urine tests or inferior kits, which are prone to false results.  To challenge them, I would suggest that you go and take a hair follicle test with a lab that has experience in the jurisdiction where your criminal case is being handled.  This could help prove that you have not used recently or in the last 90 days.
To put a halt on your sanctions, you need to file a motion for reconsideration if the order has already been signed.  If you can afford an attorney, it would be best to hire one to advocate for you since judges do not generally like delaying their sanction orders.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption