If my statement to the police was incorrectly written up, may I have it corrected?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my statement to the police was incorrectly written up, may I have it corrected?

I made a statement to the police when I was attacked by a student as a teacher at a behavior school. The statement wasn’t written correctly and it’s became an legal issue against me. The parents are saying that I punched the student and DCFS has indicated me for abuse. The report written by the police wasn’t correct. Is there anything I can do to correct the my statement and help with my appeal to the state.

Asked on December 19, 2017 under Criminal Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can't force the police to change their report. Of course, you can dispute it if it is used in any proceedings or legal action against you: you can present you own evidence and testimony that the report is incorrect and the court may choose to believe you over the report. But that is all you can do; you cannot compel  change or correction to a police report.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption