How can I get off a domestic assault charge?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get off a domestic assault charge?

I was charge with class 1 misdemeanor. I had a small fight with my husband and we both were really angry at each other so he called the cops thinking it would calm both of us down but I was so angry at the fact he even called the cops that I said a lot of things that I shouldnt have to the police. I told them I hit my husband when I didn’t. I also told him I was going to hurt myself if they didn’t take me away. Stupid me. I said things out of anger. Spent about 3-4 hours in jail before my husband came and bail me out.

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Criminal Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and resolve the challenging situation that you are in is to consult with a criminal defense attorney. Potentially the court may agree to place you on court probation for a certain period of time where you take an anger management class and do community service work. If successful, then the charge may end up being dismissed against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption