If my son got a citation but they never put his DL number or SSN in it, can the citation be dismissed?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son got a citation but they never put his DL number or SSN in it, can the citation be dismissed?

My son was at a lake with friends. He was cited for underage consumption of alcohol. When my son and his friend showed up at the house after a walk the police were there and made them both take breathalyzer tests. My sons BAC was 0.08 and his friends was 0.03. Legal limit is 0.00 for a minor from my understanding. The police officer cited my son but not his friend. He never asked my son for ID and did not fill out the citation in detail. Missing his DL number and SSN. Also put down the wrong address. Plus, no BAC level on the ticket. Can this be dismissed in court?

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Criminal Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Just because your son's citation does not have his driver's license number on it as well as his social security number, such in and of itself does not result in an automatic dismissal of it. However, since the citation has no blood alcohol level on it, the district attorney's office will have a very hard time proving its case against your son for being a minor consuming alcohol. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to assist your son in his matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption