How can I get my divorce finalized if my spouse wont take the mandatory parenting class?

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get my divorce finalized if my spouse wont take the mandatory parenting class?

Ive been trying to finalize my divorce for 7 years but my spouse wont take the parenting class that the judge ordered us to take. Is there any way to finalize my divorce without her taking the class? And without spending too much money?

Asked on June 7, 2009 under Family Law, Georgia


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If the class was court ordered and she is refusing to take it she could be held in contempt of court. What you need to do is make a motion to compel with the court. You can hire a local attorney or the attorney who handled the divorce to take care of it or call the clerk and try to do this yourself if you cannot afford an attorney

Once you make the motion her failure will be a direct violation and ultimately she can go to jail for failing to comply. That may be enough to get her to attend. Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption