Need a divorce??

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Need a divorce??

I learned my husband is not divorced from his first wife. What can I do to be legally free and clear of him. I live in Phila. Pa. Can I legally make him pay for any legal fees if I need a divorce?

Asked on June 7, 2009 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a Pennsylvania attorney, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get an annulment.  If he hasn't divorced his first wife, he's not your husband;  the marriage you had is void, and (assuming you can prove the prior marriage) it shouldn't be hard to get a court to agree.

Whether or not you can get legal fees will depend on some other facts that you haven't included, as well as Pennyslvania law.  But ordinarily, annulment, in the relatively rare situations such as this where it's appropriate, is much less expensive than divorce, because there's only a single, fairly simple questin to be answered.  One place to find a qualified lawyer, who can get you free, is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption