If the non-custodial parent is paying child support, what is the law about the custodial parent moving away?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the non-custodial parent is paying child support, what is the law about the custodial parent moving away?

Custodial parent has sole custody of child.

Asked on August 25, 2011 Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation. Do you have a custody agreement or is there an order of custody?  In custody agreement the parties are generally limited in where or how far away they can move so that the non-custodial parent can still have reasonable visitation with the child or children.  The courts promote the child or children having a relationship with both parents being custodial or non-custodial. You have a right to have access to your child even if you are not the custodial parent (and one would have to read what "sol custody" refers to here) and you have a right to object.  If you have a relationship with your child you should not be denied access. Please seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption