How can I get military disability after a 40 year old injoury?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get military disability after a 40 year old injoury?

I believe 1969 a tank accident while in army through out the years has rendered me at least partially disabled . There was no medical treatment then & at 21 I had a rub-it-off bulit proof mentality. Without paying for a extensive search of records for the I.G. investagation I don’t know how to proceed.

Asked on June 13, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 14 years ago | Contributor

I've had personal experience with a VA disability claim for a family member.  What we did was to go to the VA hospital nearest to us.  Fortunately, they had a claims representative on site (not all facilities do).  We sat down, gave the facts of our case, had explained to us how to best present our paperwork, and in 3 months we were approved.  The fellow we met with was a vet and an attorney and most helpful.  In fact, he helped with the actual wording of the claim to help us obtain the most favorable resolution.

I would call the nearest VA hospital in your area an ask where there is on site-office  personnel to help vets with claims.  If possible I'd make the trip to meet with them in person; at the very least I would have a lengthy phone call with them.  You should know right then and there what your chances are of pursuing a successful claim.  If you in fact have a good chance, then they will walk you through the process. 

You can also contact various veteran's groups in your area.  They can either help you directly or put you in contact with people who can.

However, I will tell you that if you did not have medical treatment back then, I don't know what records can be found. 

Anyway, it's worth a shot. 

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption